Thursday, 23 June 2016

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend (3/5)

First published: 1982
Page count: 272
The back says: Adrian Mole's first love, Pandora, has left him; a neighbour, Mr. Lucas, appears to be seducing his mother (and what does that mean for his father?); the BBC refuses to publish his poetry; and his dog swallowed the tree off the Christmas cake. "Why" indeed.

I say: I’m not quite sure how I feel about this. On the one hand I found some of Adrian’s musing mildly entertaining, but on the other hand he was utterly wearisome. I couldn’t understand why he did most of the things he did, and perhaps I am too old and far removed to enjoy it, because it did nothing for me. 

3/5 because it was well-written and even though I never laughed once I can see where others would find this level of humour entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment