Friday, 11 March 2016

This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash (3/5)

First published: 2014
Page count: 240
The back says: THE SISTERS

Easter and her little sister Ruby are waiting it out in a foster home. Their mum died after a drug overdose, and their dad is a loser who walked out on them all.

THE DAD

Wade has no claim to them - he signed away his rights years ago, and Easter doesn't even want a father who'd give them up that easily. But one night he turns up unannounced and takes them anyway.

THE PSYCHOPATH

Robert Pruitt is just out of prison when he gets the chance to settle an old score with the man who ruined his life. He's got to find him first, but luckily the trail is easy to follow. Because the guy's just kidnapped his two girls...

I say: This novel is classified as a thriller. I do not like thrillers – but like to challenge my reading – and therefore was never going to fully enjoy this. Having said that, I loved the initial parts where Easter is the protagonist and we follow her in her world. It was credible and I found myself understanding her doubts and some of her reasoning throughout the novel.

When it came to Wade and Pruitt I felt that Cash lost me completely, and this is where the genre because relevant because I simply cannot get into it. I understood the idea behind their action and motives, but they still came across as just a reason for a story.

I know, I know, this is my problem with thrillers...

All in all, it was a short enough not to bother me entirely, and the ending was sweet enough to warrant a 3/5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment