Monday, 14 December 2015

Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton (5/5)


First published: 1941
Page count: 288
The back says: London, 1939, and in the grimy publands of Earls Court, George Harvey Bone is pursuing a helpless infatuation. Netta is cool, contemptuous and hopelessly desirable to George. George is adrift in a drunken hell, except in his 'dead' moments, when something goes click in his head and he realizes, without doubt, that he must kill her...

I say: This is another classic that I probably never would have read had it not been for my 100 Classics Challenge.

I think...?

I tend to refrain from reading the synopsis, so I had no idea what this would be about other than suspecting some form of drinking.

Yay!

Unexpectedly, this broke my heart. 

Over and over again. 

Mercilessly.

And I loved it.

I adored it and I cannot wait to re-read this.

The novel starts with George entering into one of his ‘dead’ moods, in which he remembers that he has to kill Netta. It takes a while for him to remember who she is, but once he does, he does on to plan tow it is to be done. When he snaps out of his ‘dead’ moods, he cannot remember what happened during them so he continues life as usual. Life being following Netta and her gang around Earls Court o their daily and nightly drinking sprees. None of them work and through Netta take advantage of George who has a little bit of money saved up.

He is in love obsession with Netta and it’s all very sad and would be pathetic if not for his gentle and kind nature. Instead of thinking George a fool for lending giving Netta money that he’ll never see again, I thought her the ultimate bitch for continuing to take advantage of him.

However, that only lasted until he had one of his ‘dead’ moods when he realized that he must kill her.

5/5 because I felt every emotion I ever want to feel while reading this, and even though the end was not what I had hoped for, it was what I had expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment