Monday, 26 October 2015

The Proposal by Anton Chekhov (4/5)

First published: 1888-89
Original title: Предложение
Original language: Russian
Translation to English by: Julius West
GoodReads says: The story tells of the efforts of a nervous and excitable man who starts to propose to an attractive young woman, but who gets into a tremendous quarrel over a boundary line.

I say: I didn’t like this as I was reading it, nor directly after. However, a few days later I found myself smiling to myself at the sheer absurdity of the story and have now talked myself into re-reading it to see if it really is great or if my memory is playing tricks on me. 

Lomov goes over to his neighbour’s house to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage, but ends up in an argument over land that leads to hilarious, and very unexpected, consequences. At the time of reading I thought Chekhov was being terribly silly, but this would be amazing on stage.
 


4/5 in hindsight.

No comments:

Post a Comment