Tuesday, 28 July 2015

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis (2/5)

First published: 1991
Page count: 416
The back says: Patrick Bateman is twenty-six and works on Wall Street; he is handsome, sophisticated, charming and intelligent. He is also a psychopath. Taking us to a head-on collision with America's greatest dream - and its worst nightmare - American Psycho is a bleak, bitter, black comedy about a world we all recognize but do not wish to confront.

I say: Such. Effing. Tedium.

Ugh.

I had to force myself to finish this. Why? Because I kept waiting for something magnificent.

It never came.

What I got was pages and pages of designer names, ridiculous conversations, and misogynistic violence and gore. The only shocking part of this novel was how utterly dull and pointless I found it. Psychopathic Wall Street guy kills and dismembers people in between talking trash with his equally shallow friends and obsessing over The Patty Winters Show and other random pop culture. Though I do realise that this is satire, a so called ‘black comedy’, which is saturated in inane violence for the sheer shock factor of it all, it merely left me deflated and counting the amount of pages left until I was done with it all.

Meh.

2 comments:

  1. I DESPISE this book and I am basically offended at anyone who says it is high literature / a classic. It's vile, not terribly well written... I could go on but I wouldn't want to waste my time. I actually hate it THAT MUCH.

    (Rant over!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. The farther I remove myself from it the more I question why I even gave it 2 out of 5. People have been telling me to see the film for years and I have avoided it - now I really don't want to see it.

      I just don't understand Ellis' characters at all.

      But you're right, the less we talk about it the better.

      Delete