Thursday, 24 July 2014

Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg (2.5/5)

First published: 1956
Page count: 57

The back says: Allen Ginsberg's Howl & Other Poems was originally published by City Lights Books in the fall of 1956. Subsequently seized by U.S. Customs and the San Francisco police, it was the subject of a long court trial at which a series of poets and professors persuaded the court that the book was not obscene.

I say: I expected so much of this collection simply because of the beauty of the first four lines of Howl. These four iconic and classic lines:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
Dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,

 

The rest of part one of Howl is about the things that these ‘minds’ are and do, and it is beautiful in that broken and deprived way. Ginsberg was a part of the Beat Generation and this poem personifies himself, his peers and their surroundings.

The rest of the poems were not my cup of tea, at all. Some of them bored me to tears, while others were tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment