Thursday, 26 June 2014

Pulp by Charles Bukowski (3/5)

First published: 1994
Page count: 186

The back says: My eyes were blue and my shoes were old and nobody loved me. But I had things to do. I was Nicky Belane, private detective.

I say: I have no idea what the hell I just read.

I had no idea what the hell I was reading while reading.

I laughed a few times because Belane had some really good comebacks – he is a funny guy – but mostly I just mentally scratched my head and kept on in the hopes that all would be revealed in the end.

And it was.

But to what effect?

*insert first line of this review*

Belane is a private detective that gets a few cases during the 186 pages. The first one by Lady Death who wants him to find out if the guy who hangs out at a local book store really is Celine. The second case is from a friend wanting Belane to locate the Red Sparrow. Third case is from a man wanting to find out if his wife is cheating on him. And the fourth and final case is Celine wanting Belane to find out why Lady Death wants to know if he really is Celine.

Oh, wait. There was a fifth case of a man wanting Belane to help him get rid of an alien that has complete power over him.

Yeah.

In between trying - i.e. pretending – to solve these mysteries Belane drinks, gambles, tries to get laid and fights. Somehow I found him endearing for all the wrong reasons and I believe I may be falling for Bukowski’s eternal anti-hero. Yes, he’s an ass, but at least he’s honest about it.

And funny.

3/5 because I still have no idea what the hell I just read, but it was somewhat entertaining still.

No comments:

Post a Comment