Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Vallfart och Vandringsår av Verner von Heidenstam (2/5)

First published: 1888
Page count: 76

The back says: Nothing. It is von Heidenstam’s debut collection of poetry.

I say: I read this in Swedish and am writing the review in English because I assume it’s been translated (I’m too lazy and disappointed to google research).

Every challenge I’ve ever started has at one point led me to a book that made me reconsider everything.

This is one of those points, and one of those books.

Although it is only 76 pages most of it bored me to tears and regret. The archaic language, the symbolism, the historical and religious figures and imagery, the rhyming – ah, the rhyming did my head in.

I would very much like to give this a 1/5, but that would be very unfair because von Heidenstam is a gifted poet, I just can’t stand his writing, so I’m compromising it into a 2/5 and vowing never to speak of it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment