Monday, 10 February 2014

A Life Less Ordinary by John Hodge (2.5/5)

First published: 1997
Page count: 217


The back says: Celine just shot her boyfriend in the head. He will never practice dentistry again.
Robert has been fired from his job. They replaced him with a robot.
Jackson and O’Reilly have been sent from heaven on a mission of great importance. They are not happy.
Thus is set in motion a train of events that is designed to lead Robert and Celine to fall in love. But even the grandest of designs is subject to the effects of chaos. As Robert and Celine negotiate the trials of kidnap, bank robbery, karaoke and bad poetry they are unaware of the forces that seek to control their hearts.

In any case, they have more immediate concerns. Why, for instance, does a man called Tod sharpen his scythe every day? Why does O’Reilly favour such solid footwear? And why doesn’t Mayhew worship Buddha?

I say: Every once in a while, in a weak attempt at broadening my view, I start reading a book that I know I’ll wind up hating, hoping against all odds that I’ll be wrong and love it.

This was not one of those times.

I’ll be honest, it took me over a month to finish this because I kept getting annoyed at the plot and the writing. It’s meant to be a black comedy, but I found it neither dark nor very funny. Wiki tells me that the screenplay came first, and then the novelisation.

If anyone cares.

The good thing about this novel is the premise, two angels are sent to earth – against their will - to make two random people fall in love. But then so many incredibly silly and pointless things happen that I had to force myself to finish it. Nothing was believable – although I doubt that it was meant to be – and little made sense.

2.5/5 because of the angels (at least that’s what I think they were), I liked them.

Needless to say, I will not be watching the film.

2 comments:

  1. The concept of this book does sound kind of interesting...I haven't seen the movie either so not sure if it's any good. I love how you put it though, that you pick up a book you know you'll hate but hope that you'll be wrong. I did this so much last year and had so many DNF books because of it. This year my intention is to be a little more discerning in the books I pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm going to try to be a tad more discerning this year as well, especially since I have tapped out most of the books I wanted to read in my Classic's Challenge and now am re-thinking if I want to force myself to read (esp. since I don't have as much time to read anymore - damn work + uni).

      Delete