Monday, 8 July 2013

Bokhandelsblues / Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell (2.5/5)

First published: 2012
Original title:
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

Original language: English
Translation to Swedish by: Samuel Paulsson
Illustrations by: Henrik Lange
Page count: 410


GoodReads says: From the hugely popular blog, a miscellany of hilarious and peculiar bookshop moments:

'Can books conduct electricity?'
'My children are just climbing your bookshelves: that's ok... isn't it?'

A John Cleese Twitter question ['What is your pet peeve?'], first sparked the 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' blog, which grew over three years into one bookseller's collection of ridiculous conversations on the shop floor.

From 'Did Beatrix Potter ever write a book about dinosaurs?' to the hunt for a paperback which could forecast the next year's weather; and from 'I've forgotten my glasses, please read me the first chapter' to 'Excuse me... is this book edible?'

This full-length collection also includes top 'Weird Things' from bookshops around the world.

I say: This was nowhere near as funny as other reviews made me
think, and for that, I am glad that I didn’t buy it. I read the Swedish translation, which meant that some of the jokes had to be altered and explained (which I hate), but I doubt there was anything lost in translation.

It’s all very straightforward and the title is self-explanatory; customers say weird, stupid, silly, annoying and sometimes chuckle-worthy things to booksellers. Some of the entries made me roll my eyes, some of them made me pity the seller, but mostly I just read through them with little, if any, reaction.
It was all rather meh.

There’s a sequel out now, More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, which I’ll treat with the same lackadaisicalness I feel towards this one; if the library gets it I may borrow it, otherwise I couldn’t care less.
It is what it is and it is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment