Wednesday, 9 January 2013

About These Books...

I’ve been thinking about reading resolutions and challenges for this year, and I thought that apart from the on-going 100 Classics Challenge and the Tea and Reading Challenge, I may join The Classics Club to push myself to read more classics (even though I read 67 classics last year – bang on 50%). However, The Classics Club wants you to make up a list of the classics you plan to read – and they want a timeframe – so I may have to think about that for a while.

I am addicted to books and used to organise them by colour (yes, I still knew where to find them) and last summer my brother helped me put up two shelves on my wall, like so.



Note: the first time I put them up with the recommended screws they both fell down on top of my head. So we had to get stronger screws (and then I couldn’t be arsed to do the whites properly cos I kept thinking they were going to fall down again). I still want to put up 3 more shelves beneath those so that most of my books can be on that wall (maybe add shelves on the right of the picture as this is only half the wall). I just want a full wall of books.

On the opposite side of the room we have this makeshift hoarder’s shelf that clearly needs some serious organisation.



Yes, those are my 5” inch heels (and another 4” in the box behind them), and the pile second to the right is my library pile.



And yes, I have two guitars (don't ask), and about half of the highest tower is DVDs (my other obsession). Then I have 2 boxes of books in the cellar, and another box in the closet, so my resolution hope for this year is to sort out this monstrosity spreading across my bedroom. There are no books in the living room because I like looking at them. Ultimately, I’d like to move into an apartment with a spare room I can turn into a library, but until then, this will have to suffice.

I counted 264 unread books (that I can see) and so this year I hope to reduce that number to at least below 200 – so I am going to keep a serious eye on how many books I’m buying this year (unless they’re for uni) just to make sure that I’m not adding to the unread pile.

So yeah, my book obsession isn’t nearly as bad as people would have you believe.  

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, I do love looking at people's books... it makes me feel so much better about my hoarding tendencies! I love love love the idea of having a whole wall of books... Saving that one up until I finally have a room of my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love looking at people's books (and asking "why on earth do you have this?") and isn't a wall of book just awesome? If I was able to operate that damn drill myself I'd have done it, but unfotunately I'm too weak (and I hate it since my brother loves rubbing it in that he's doing "a man's job for the weak woman" - ugh.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, you are brave to count how many of the books that you own that you haven't read! I can't bring myself to do that because I think the number would be terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I only counted then cos I was at someone elses blog who had counted and I thought "I can do that!" Once I got to 100 I started getting nervous, maybe because I stare at these books all the time, they seem familiar and I fool myself into thinking I've read them all.

      But go on, do it. Share!

      Delete
  3. Love the shelves. Your piles look a lot like mine, lol. My book case is even double shelved. I was considering the classics club too but making up a list first and putting a time frame on it put me off too. Some of the classics I ended up reading last year came from others recommendations. So I'm not taking part in any challenges this year. Good for you reading 67 of them. That's quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I'm not the only one with piles of books; though I kind of like the untidy-look of them.

      Yeah, I don't get why the classics club wants you to write them down - I'd rather just make them up as I go along, since history has proven that I suck at following lists (still struggling with the 100 2 years later).

      Delete
    2. I know, it feels a little too regimented listing it like that. Part of the fun for me is maybe discovering classics I had never heard of through seeing what others are reading. I gave an initial list when I did the classic challenge last year and then didn't look at it again. The fact that I matched up some of the list was a happy coincidence.

      I like the untidy look too. Although it does make finding a particular one difficult, lol.

      Delete
    3. I agree, I keep discovering classics I've never heard of all the time, both from other people and also from browsing in book shops. Also, I had a peek at a few lists over on the classics club and 90% are the same old western classics that we all want to read at one point, but I wish I could stumble upon a blog that read obscure Asian/African/South American/Native-American classics - the type of classics we rarely hear about. Or maybe I should just start searching for them myself and start my own "obscure classics that you've never heard of" hipster club.

      Yeah, maybe not.

      Delete