Thursday, 25 October 2012

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott (3/5)

The back says: Lizzie and Evie are inseparable. They walk home from school together, sleep over at each other’s houses, even flirt with boys together. And they tell each other everything. Or at least, that’s what Lizzie thinks – until Evie goes missing, and Lizzie suddenly realises their friendship wasn’t quite what she thought.

A mesmerising novel about two young girls discovering their sexuality; about fathers and daughters; about family and friendship; about jealousy, secrets and lies, The End of Everything offers a powerful reminder that things aren’t always what they seem...

I say: I’m not really sure what to say about this. It all started out like your typical Young Adult novel, but then slowly descended into something sinister and ended in the depths of depravity. Or maybe I’m exaggerating a little, but I really didn’t like the resolution.

Evie goes missing and while everyone is busy looking for her in all the wrong places, or gossiping about what may have happened to her, Lizzie becomes some kind of sleuth that manages to uncover clues and leads that the police have missed. At the same time Lizzie slowly gets closer to Evie’s father and arouses the wrath of Evies sister.

Emotions get confused and muddled and it all takes a bad turn.

Like I said, it started out really interesting and I was desperate to know what had happened to Evie, and I think Abbot did a great job of giving away little enough to keep me interested in the plot. I didn’t very much care for the relationship that formed between Lizzie and Evie’s father – it seemed forced and more like gimmick to extend the plot. The same goes for the relationship with the sister.

This may be considered a spoiler so highlight if you want to know: once we found out what had happened to Evie I lost all interest in the story. It was basically a rip-off of Lolita and that angered me. Yes, I know that Lolita wasn’t the first book to handle that subject, but it was all I could think about and it all seemed so implausible it nearly angered me.

So yeah, 3/5 for a good start and an unfortunately bad ending.

4 comments:

  1. Hrm, I don't think this book is for me. I really don't think that I would like the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you. Lolita is probably the only book I've ever read - and ever will read (knowingly) - that deals with that subject. It's just far too creepy for me.

      Delete
  2. Have you read any of her noir books? I discovered her through a novella called Queenpin earlier this year. I want to read some other similar books and have even looked into her YA books because her newest one Dare Me was getting a lot of buzz. But the plots just don't sound that intriguing. I don't know that much about noir since I'm new to the genre but I did really enjoy the one book of her I read so I'd recommend that by her instead. I'm glad you reviewed this though so I know to skip it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first book I've read of hers. I wouldn't mind checking out more of her work because her writing was good, it was just the end that did me in.

      I have also been curious about noir, but haven't read anything in that genre. Do let me know if you find anything good, I'm always up for trying new genres.

      Delete