Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Life Imitating Art: William Faulkner Edition

I haven’t posted in a while due to illness which culminated in a visit to the ER Sunday afternoon (until Sunday night) when I bailed out of there after being ignored for seven hours.

I figured that if I was dying they’d have helped me by then – and if not, I’d rather die in the comfort of my own bed.

Prior to being near death I was reading As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, and even made some rather morbidly ironic jokes about the title and my state of health the night before and morning of.

It wasn’t so funny when I was laying on a gurney in the hospital, though.

Even if I now can appreciate the humour irony of that being the last book I read (and even bringing it with me to the hospital) if I was, in fact, dying, I have not put it aside until I am 100% recovered.

Apparently I’m allergic to penicillin, and after 5 days of ignoring the signs (which I couldn’t tell from the listed side effects) I had a horrible night of fevers, vertigo, migraines, confusion, and just general hypochondria dying. I called the medical hotline and was told to get to ER, which I did.

Blah blah blah...

I’d never been to ER before, but after fainting in front of a doctor who ignored me, blacking out due to pain, and being told by a nurse that I could buy painkillers at the petrol station, I’m now completely anti-ER. I saw a doctor the following day who confirmed my adverse reaction to the penicillin and I was put on other antibiotics, so I am not almost back to normal.

This is not a sympathy post; I just found it hilarious creepy if As I Lay Dying would have been the last book I had read in my life...

Yes, I am that person.

I’ll be back to posting reviews tomorrow, so...

as you were.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you survived and are feeling better! :) I definitely would have been superstitious if I were reading that book and feeling like that. I probably would have immediately switched to something lighter, just in case! Although while reading The Hot Zone I swore I felt a virus coming on, the writing was that graphic and brought out the hypochondriac in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the well-wishes. I am not pretty much back to normal - if still tired from the antibiotics.

      Yay, to a fellow hypochondriac who also thinks they get things they read about. I get that all the time, and not just from books, but if I read or hear about a new disease I immediately think I have it. The drama...

      Delete