Thursday, 10 May 2012

Nearly Departed (Weirdsville #1) by Rook Hastings (3.5/5)

The back says: “I’ve seen a ghost,” said Emily. “Well, not seen one exactly. Heard one. At least, I think I have...”

Woodsville is not like other towns. Night falls a little earlier there, the shadows are darker and denser, and everyone knows it’s a place where strange things happen. Even if they won’t admit it.

Bethan would prefer to be anywhere but here. Jay has his theories, but isn’t ready to share. Hashim sees more than he’ll say, while Kelly’s demons are all too flesh and blood. But Emily’s freak-out brings them out of their denial and face to face with the supernatural.

Anywhere else, Friday night would be date night. But not in Weirdsville.

I say: I’m not a big fan of horror or paranormal/supernatural, and I only really picked this up because it was on sale and seemed like a quick enough read of a genres I generally ignore. Thus having no real expectations, I was pleasantly surprised.

Here’s the thing, ghosts freak me out. And I mean proper ‘wait, what’s that sound and I’m not going to sleep at all tonight and just stay awake reading’ freak me out. So naturally, I started reading this at 4 am when I couldn’t sleep – as you do.

To be honest, I didn’t think it was freaking me out at all until I received a text and nearly had a heart attack.

Good job, Hastings.

This was a quick and rather easy read; probably aimed at a younger audience than the YA I normally read, but the plot was still good enough. Although there were some elements that I thought were a little ridiculous, I really did not see the conclusion coming at all. I read it in one go, and like I said, it had me on edge from around the 100 page mark right through to the end.

There’s not really that much to say about the characters; they’re all pretty much your stereotypical youth of any school. The football lover, the geek, the popular girl, the girl who likes to study, and the quiet and mousy one all come together and form an unlikely alliance to find out what’s really going on in Woodsville. It’s all pretty clichéd, and the writing or dialogue isn’t much to comment on, but like I said, it’s aimed at a younger audience – maybe kids around 12 or so.

This gets 3.5/5 because I did enjoy it and I will actually read the second part since I bought that at the same time (I probably wouldn’t have bothered otherwise). Supposedly this is intended as a trilogy, so we’ll see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment