Monday, 20 February 2012

Too Much…?

The annual book sale in Sweden starts on Wednesday; this is when all the book stores put the exact same books on sale, but at different prices. They send out catalogues a couple of weeks beforehand and I usually go through them all, write a list of what to get where and then go crazy on the day. This year I gave myself a budget and said I wouldn’t go crazy, but then two weeks ago they had a pre-sale online and I ordered 12 books (3 were sold out already) and it was only half of my budget.

I felt accomplished.

However, last week I found a few books in the used book store, and today I chanced by a new outlet store by one of the biggest book chains in Sweden and went absolutely mental. To be noted is that it's hard finding good English books in Sweden that aren't crime novels or chic lit, so I just tend to buy everything that doesn't fall under those two categories.

Staring at this pile is now making me feel all sorts of guilty.



And giddy.

I think a book buying ban is in order.

They usually never work for me, but I really need to stop buying books and start reading. It’s been a slow reading year so far, although I’ve read more Swedish books so far than all of last year (which is awesome). But I really should start with some of my challenges.

Ah well, my pile of total insanity consists of:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I think I may already own this)
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
She by H. Rider Haggard (100 Classics Challenge)
Vlad: The Last Confession by C. C. Humphreys
Ravens by George Dawes Green
Love Songs from a Shallow Grave by Colin Cotterill
Ransom by David Malouf
The Holy City by Patrick McCabe
Kaddish for an Unborn Child by Imre Kertész
Washing Dishes in Hotel Paradise by Eduardo Belgrano Rawson
Home by Marilynne Robinson
The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling by Henry Fielding
An Elegy for Easter by Petina Gappah
The Dark Volume by G. W. Dahlquist
The Divine Comedy by Dante
Devils by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The House of the Dead & The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Cider House Rules by John Irving
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
Generation A by Douglas Coupland
Waiting by Ha Jin
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (I hate this book, but I plan to re-read it someday)
Middlemarch by George Eliot (100 Classics Challenge)
The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi
Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom
Trumpet by Jackie Kay
Moscow 2042 by Vladimir Voinovich
The World According to Garp by John Irving
Washington Square by Henry James
Remembering Audrey by Bob Willoughby

I also got something silly called Mr. Darcy’s Diary by Maya Slater, not pictured because the second page of the first diary entry made me hurl it across the room because it was just so offensive (more on that later).

So yeah, I’m pretty much set for the rest of the year.

3 comments:

  1. Wait, wait, wait! All the book stores in Sweden have books on sale at the same time??? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I actually do have book haul envy. Great pile of books too. I'm amazed at the Swedish book sales too. Do the book stores never have offers on books through out the year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book stores have sales every now and then, but they have the annual sale at the end of February each year. It's usually really good for Swedish titles that have been released the year before as they're up to about 80% off. It's a bit harder with the English titles and they're usually biographies or some random drink/food crap. However, the past few years it's been better with the online sales as my small town doesn't carry that many English books.

    I'm going to try not to go into town tomorrow as I think the 12 I've already ordered are more than enough (not really).

    ReplyDelete