Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Two More Challenges

I haven’t been reading much so far this year, and I am starting to fear that anyone should take my blog name too seriously.
I haven’t stopped completely; I’ve just been really busy at work and unfortunately started reading some boring books that I have now hidden.

I’m back on track now, though, reading The Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-reading Monster Hercules Barefoot - His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred (longest title ever) in Swedish and really enjoying it.

Who knew that a Swedish book would get me back into reading?

Anyhoo, during my slump I thought of two more challenges I am going to fail this year. The first being after I read that this year is labeled “Strindbergsår” (Strindberg year) in Sweden, since 2012 marks 100 years since August Strindberg  died. Due to this, I’m going to challenge myself to read 10 of his works. I remember reading Strindberg in school, but tragically, our teacher used to refer to him as the “woman hater” and so that’s stuck with me all these years. That has nothing to do with the challenge, but just a small reminder that these nicknames stick with you.

All in all, I don’t remember what the fuss is about even though I have fond memories of his use of language.

It'll be interesting to find out.

My second challenge is to re-read Oscar Wilde’s plays - and maybe The Picture of Dorian Gray. I used to read The Importance of Being Earnest once a year and De Profundis (the letter he sent from prison), and while organising my bookshelf the other day I saw my copy of his complete works and felt that I wanted to read them again (maybe not Salome), and so I will.

I will also kiss his tomb again when next I go to Paris and lie down next to his statue when I’m in Dublin. Because these are the type of things I do.

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to read anything by Wilde. I understand your wants for Paris and Dublin though. I used to live close to where F. Scott Fitzgerald is buried. My husband, a friend, and I read one of his stories out loud to his grave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I think that's awesome that you did that. I wanted to do that when I lived near Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare's born and death place), but never could find anyone to come along. Also, too many tourists during the day.

    But yeah, Wilde's statue in Dublin is up on a rock and me climbing up there and lying next to/on top of it was weird, but the pictures came out fine (if, a bit creepy). If he were alive, he'd be the one author I'd stalk. The one who isn't Russian, I probably should add. Do read The Picture of Dorian Gray if you get a chance - if you're a fan of British wit.

    ReplyDelete