Monday, 9 January 2012

2012 Reading Challenges

I suck at challenges. I start off all giddy and excited and then always seem to lose my way. Therefore I have decided not to start anything I won’t be able to finish this year.
100 Classics Challenge – I started this in May last year and thought I was going to finish it in a year, but since I kept reading other books as well, methinks it might take a while. I’m really loving this challenge, especially since there are a lot of books there that I’d never heard of and would never have read if it weren’t for this challenge. Yes, there has been quite a lot of foolery in here as well, but hey; everything’s a lesson (my new motto for when I mess up).
I have decided just this very second that my other “challenge” is going to be to read a book and then watch the movie version (or the other way around) and then compare them. I know that there are a lot of challenges like this out there already, but since I’m trying to take the pressure off, I’m just going to do this as my own little thing. I’m aiming at doing at least one set per month, so we’ll see how that fares.
I will once again try to read 10 Swedish books this year. Emphasis on try. I just started reading one and two paragraphs in I threw it to the side. I don’t know why I’m having such a hard time with the Swedish since I moved back here, but we’ll see.
Other than that, I think that my biggest “challenge” will be to finally sink my teeth eyes into In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (3200 pages). I bought the beautiful Everyman’s Library set in November and I’ve been eyeing the books ever since.

I’m really excited about them and I already know that this is bad because if I don’t like them there will be tears disappointment. 
And, as every other year, I will continue to obsess over the Russians, try to find the saddest books to make me cry, and randomly curse those Brits who shall remain nameless.
Oh, and try to read 101 books this year (to make up for the one I didn’t manage last year).

5 comments:

  1. You have more common sense than I do. I signed for far too many challenges. I know I have. Still, I will give it my best shot.

    I like the sound of your mini challenge of reading and reviewing the book and then the film adaptation. Will be interested to see which ones you go for.

    I love Everyman books. I don't blame you for buying them and your fear of reading and not liking them. I would be exactly the same in your position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it's so much common sense as not wanting to fail.

    I'm excited about the book/movie as well. I think I'll start with Of Mice and Men since my brother dropped it off at the house eons ago and I never watched it cos I wanted to read the book first. Also, I loved the book so I'm not expecting much from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, will look out for that. I loved Of Mice and Men but have never seen the film. Although, I do confess to loving Gary Sinise so that would almost make up for the film not matching up to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw so many good challenges this year but I tried to limit myself to what was actually realistic. Ask me how that went in another 11.5 months...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen - I still haven't watched it yet. I'm trying to sort of lose some of the strongest emotions I had from reading the book; trying to keep and open mind.

    Meg - I agree. There are always so many good challenges. And I'll definately be checking in over the year to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete