Sunday, 1 January 2012

2011 Reading Summary (or Something)

I’ll start off by saying that I’ve had brain fever for over a week now. And by brain fever I mean sinusitis – not that it has anything to do with anything, but there it is.

It’s a new year and I’m sick and cranky.

So, what happened in the year 2011 when it came to my reading?

I set up a goal to read 100 books and I managed 99 + 1 children’s book and 4 plays. Considering that I tackled a few Russian tomes of 800+ pages, I’m happy with those figures.

I started a couple of challenges that I kind of ignored. But, in my own defence, once I got to the tricky letters, I found a few books that didn’t interest me and then I wasn’t in the mood to pursue the challenges any further. So, the A-Z Challenges were a failure – but I don’t care.

I meant to read at least 10 books in Swedish this year, but for some reason I just didn’t feel like reading in Swedish – at all, really. I managed 6 in total, which is acceptable. I guess.

I started the 100 Classics Challenge in my born month of May, and set for it to run a year. I’ve read 40 (28 this year) and I doubt that I’ll manage 60 books in 5 months (not while Dickens is still there), but I’ll continue with that challenge because it is by far the best one I’ve ever partaken in. I love reading the classics – both the ones that are good, and the ones that are not so good (ok, maybe I’m lying about the not so good ones) – because I like to know what the fuss is all about.

I wanted 40% of the books that I read this year to be classics and I managed 40.4% (not counting anything labelled as a classic that’s written less that 30 year ago).

I wanted at least 60% to have been rated 4 or higher and I managed 61.6 %, which I’m really happy about since I want to know that I’ve really enjoyed the majority of what I’ve read this year.

I’ve managed to review everything I’ve read since starting the blog, except The Milk Train Doesn’t Stop Here Anymore by Tennessee Williams, and I should probably get to it (though I vaguely remember the plot).

Having said all that, I suppose what’s left is the inevitable best of list that I never manage to compile because I can’t rank books that way. But I’m going to make a compilation of some sort after I have a little nap because this brain fever is killing me.

Not literally, I hope.

But yeah, Happy New Year and I hope everyone is as satisfied with their reading year as I am.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to actually participating in some challenges this year since I wasn't blogging at the beginning of last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done in your reading finishes. I think reading 40 classics is something to be proud of. I plan to keep going with one classic a month. I usually read more than that but I won't feel the pressure if I don't give myself a figure.

    Are you going to keep going with the A-Z challenge? It took me over a year to complete that because of the limitations of some of the characters too.

    Hope you feel better soon and happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - I hopped on some challenges as I went along. I'm not sure if I'm going to do any challenges (other than the 100 Classics) but I do want to read more Swedish books, so that may be one.

    Karen - I agree with the pressure. That's the reason I'm not going to continue with the A-Z Challenges (I did one for authors and one for titles) because I'd have to read books that I'm not so interested in and I'd rather focus that time and energy elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete