Thursday, 15 December 2011

Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote (2.5/5)

The back says*: Breakfast at Tiffany’s (and three more delightful stories) lights up the other face of the writer who surprised the world with In Cold Blood.

This is the enchanting tale of Holly Golightly, the unforgettable good-time girl, as the whisks us into her world of glamour and bright lights and is off before we have time to decide if she really belongs.

I say: I wasn’t at all impressed with this collection of short stories, and I’m not sure why. It might be that Capote’s writing doesn’t do it for me, but it may very well be that the stories didn’t really appeal to me. I’ll be reading more of his work to find out which it is, even though I really don’t care –

which is never a good sign.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (2/5)
I’ve never seen the film, nor have I ever felt the inclination to do so. Whenever people gush about something I get suspicious and avoid it, and in a way I wish I had avoided this. However, it was a part of my 100 Classics Challenge and I was hoping to fall in love with it the same way everyone else seems to have,

But I didn’t.

At all.

In fact, this novella annoyed me. Holly was flighty and irritating and I found absolutely nothing about her either enchanting or endearing. She was a flake – and a very selfish one at that. My understanding is that we’re supposed to feel something for her because of her childhood, her insecurities and inability to connect with people, but honestly, no.

Just no.

The narrator bored me and it didn’t feel like the story was going anywhere. It starts out interesting enough with the narrator and the barman trying to figure out what happened to Holly, but as he unfolded the story I kept waiting for the magic that never was to come. She bought him a birdcage – that’s as far as the niceness go.

Supposedly the film is different from the novel and maybe someday I’ll get around to seeing it.


House of Flowers (2.5/5)
I can’t even know what to say about this other than it started out interesting and then sort of fizzled out into nothing. If felt incomplete, in a way; rushed. If Capote had spent more time turning this into a novel I may have enjoyed it, because the premise is good. As it stands it just left me with a sense of meh.

A Diamond Guitar (2/5)
I felt the same about this story as I did House of Flowers – it could have been good, but there was just something missing and in the end it was all meh.

A Christmas Memory (3.5/5)
This was easily the best of the stories; a seven year old boy and his sixty-something cousin bake Christmas cakes, fetch a Christmas tree and make each other kites. It was a sweet and tender story – very endearing – and the only one I can see myself re-reading in the future. The end was perfection.

*I have a really old edition that I found in the thrift store and I haven't been able to find a picture of the cover online, so I just picked the first cover that showed up on google images.

No comments:

Post a Comment