Wednesday, 23 November 2011

The Death Cure by James Dashner (4/5)

The back says: Thomas knows that WICKED can’t be trusted. They stole his memories and locked him inside the Maze. They forced him to the brink of death by dropping him in the wilds of the Scorch. And they took the Gladers, his only friends, from him.

Now WICKED says that the time for lies is over. That they’ve collected all the data they can from the Trials and will rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission: to complete the blueprint for the cure for the Flare. But Thomas must undergo one final test.

What WICKED doesn’t know, however, is that Thomas has already remembered far more than they think. And it’s enough to prove that he can’t believe a word of what WICKED says.

The time for lies is over. And the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever have imagined.

I say: I was excited to finally read the last part of the trilogy, but I wish I had curbed my enthusiasm because this was somewhat disappointing. 

Dashner is very good at keeping me at the edge of my seat. All of the novels have been fast paced and full of action, but the one issue I’ve had previously is that Dashner has taken some elements too far, and that’s what he did in The Death Cure. There were so many twist and turns and backs and forths and ups and downs and who are we going to trust and why and

it

made

my

head

hurt.

And not because I was trying to figure it all out, but because it got tedious towards the end. Dashner could easily have rounded up this novel in half the pages. The advantage the other books had was that it was ok, in my opinion, to present new problems because the purpose of the final installment is to tie up all the loose ends, so I allow and forgive more. Don’t get me wrong, all in all it was a nice ending – albeit somewhat disappointing because it didn’t go the way I wanted it to –

but that’ll learn me to have expectations.

What I did love about this was that the characters remained true to themselves, and although it's been a few months since I read book two, it was easy to ease back into Thomas’ head and world. Dashner gives such detailed and vivid descriptions of everything it feels positively tangible, and I really admire that. This is the only book that I haven’t read in one sitting (I read this in two sittings) but that was only because I had to go to work. And even with all the curveballs I was continuously desperate to find out what was going to happen –

though I did sigh and let out frustrated “oh you’ve got to be kidding me” quite frequently towards the end.

All in all it was a good end, but it could have been better. I would definitely recommend this trilogy and may even read it again a few years’ time when I’ve completely repressed the details of the third book.

I do tip my hat to Mr Dashner for creating this impossibly insane and yet very plausible dystopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment