Saturday, 26 November 2011

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx & Freidrich Engels (3/5)

Manybooks.net says (I downloaded it from there – legally): "One of the world's most influential political manuscripts. Commissioned by the Communist League and written by communist theorists Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, it laid out the League's purposes and program. It presents an analytical approach to the class struggle (historical and present) and the problems of capitalism, rather than a prediction of communism's potential future forms." – Wikipedia

I say: First of all, I just have to point out that because I don’t want to get too political on this blog, I’m not going to say that much about this. I read it because it was a part of my 100 Classics Challenge and one of those texts that I’ve said for years that I’m going to read, but never really got around to it.

It’s been a few years since I studied political science and, as a part of those studies, communism – mostly when I was studying insurgency/terrorism and Che Guevara – so my mind was a tad rusty. I’ll probably read this again at a point when my mind is more susceptible to politics, which it isn’t right now.

Having said all that, I did enjoy this.

Even if you’re not into politics this is an interesting read, if only to read what Marx and Engels have to say about the history of the class struggles, and of the bourgeoisie especially. This really made me snort:

“Our bourgeois, not content with having the wives and daughters of their proletarians at their disposal, not to speak of common prostitutes, take the greatest pleasure in seducing each other's wives.” – p. 16

I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the reaction they had intended when they wrote that sentence, but I couldn’t help myself.

So yeah, this may be my shortest and review to date, but I find it impossible to talk about this without giving away my own personal views and I’m not at all inclined to do so on this blog.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one in it's entirety although I have read bits of it when I was in university. Not sure I could read it from start to finish.

    I would have snorted with laughter at that line too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a short read, 25 pages, but it was rather heavy at times and felt like far more. For some reason I was surprised at how blatant their disdain for the bourgeoisie was, but what do I know. It amused me, so it can't have been all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of those books that I feel like I need to read at some point if only to better understand the world.

    ReplyDelete