Monday, 17 October 2011

Mmm... Monday: Dorothy Parker, Part the First

For some reason I started thinking about Dorothy Parker just before lunch (I think it may have been something to do with a comment that I was quiet today and I thought of her and how she somewhat resented being thought of as a wisecrack all the time). So I thought I should post one of her, in my opinion, really poignant (but still a tad airy) poems:

A Fairly Sad Tale

I think that I shall never know
Why I am thus, and I am so.
Around me, other girls inspire
In men the rush and roar of fire,
The sweet transparency of glass,
The tenderness of April grass,
The durability of granite;
But me- I don't know how to plan it.
The lads I've met in Cupid's deadlock
Were- shall we say?- born out of wedlock.
They broke my heart, they stilled my song,
And said they had to run along,
Explaining, so to sop my tears,
First came their parents or careers.
But ever does experience
Deny me wisdom, calm, and sense!
Though she's a fool who seeks to capture
The twenty-first fine, careless rapture,
I must go on, till ends my rope,
Who from my birth was cursed with hope.
A heart in half is chaste, archaic;
But mine resembles a mosaic-
The thing's become ridiculous!
Why am I so? Why am I thus?

Maybe I love this so much because I can relate to it; especially this

They broke my heart, they stilled my song,
And said they had to run along,
Explaining, so to sop my tears,
First came their parents or careers.


In a way, this is "fairly sad" - if I may be so silly - but in all the sadness still lies the fact that she's an incurable optimist that will continue to try and try again.

And those last four lines are just absolute perfection.

3 comments:

  1. I love Dorothy Parker. I first read her collected works earlier in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, they're awesome, right. I just love her wit and although I prefer her more humorous works most of the time, it's great to have some slightly more serious stuff to turn to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, there was a few poems and stories in there that had me chuckling (more than a few). Definitely a book that I plan on re-reading.

    ReplyDelete