Tuesday, 11 October 2011

The Last Summer (of you and me) by Ann Brashares (2.5/5)

The back says: The long, hot summers spent on Fire Island have always been the highlight of the year for sisters Riley and Alice. Not least because it is there that they always see Paul: their next-door neighbour, Riley's best friend in all the world, and the only boy Alice has ever loved. Then Paul goes to university, and he leaves them both behind him. 

Three years later, as Alice in turn prepares to start college, Paul returns. The trick, he tells himself, is to have what he had without destroying it. But their world will change irresistibly, wonderfully and tragically, with every breath they take.

I say: The first novel I read by Ann Brashares was My Name is Memory, and although I loved the premise and most of the storyline, one of my problems was with the writing. I assumed that it was because it was a YA novel, but apparently I was wrong, since I had the exact same problems now.

Or maybe problem is the wrong word - I just didn’t like it.

Although I can’t say that I was expecting too much considering what type of novel it was – and I did choose it because I thought it would be a quick, easy enough read. However, the plot was too predictive to be interesting, the characters were too one dimensional to incite any form of attachment, and in the end I was just reading for the sake of it.

I have to say that I’m not sure why this is classified as an adult novel since I feel it had all the elements of a YA novel; first love, lots of brooding, that whole coming of age thing - perhaps because the characters were 21 and 24, but what do I know.

It wasn’t all bad, though. There were a few lines in the novel that really stood out and that I loved, most of all this:

"She'd already ripped him apart; he wasn't going to let her pick through the bits to see which ones she still wanted." - p 193

 

No comments:

Post a Comment