Thursday, 29 September 2011

BTT: Loud


1. What do you think of reading aloud/being read to? Does it bring back memories of your childhood? Your children’s childhood?
2. Does this affect the way you feel about audio books?
3. Do you now have times when you read aloud or are read to?

1. I don’t mind being read to if it’s just a few beautiful/interesting lines or a paragraph. Anything more than that makes me restless. On the other hand I love reading to my nieces – and they love hearing it because I do all the voices and things. When I was a kid I loved it when my mother read to me; her voice was so soothing. When they read to us in school I always fell asleep.
2. I had a period in my teens when my eyes hurt all the time so I had to listen to audio books. Now that my eyes are fine again (more or less), I just love and cherish the fact that I’m able to read, so I don’t listen to audio books and honestly can’t see myself ever doing that as long as I can see well enough.
I love looking at words - same as I love holding a book - there's a feel to it that I can't describe.
Also, I prefer my own inner voice – yes, I’m narcissistic like that. When I read, I like to stop and offer little asides to myself, like “why is she doing this?” “this is not going to end well,” “please, don’t say/do that” etc. and I doubt I’d be able to do that while listening to an audio book.
3. I read poetry aloud, and I like hearing poetry being read. Other than that I only read to my nieces.

7 comments:

  1. It's nice that you read to your nieces and make the experience as animated as possible. I wish had younger relatives that I can read to too! Here's my BTT for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer my inner voice too, sometimes the audio books can confuse the way a reader perceives the book.

    I do the voices when I read to my daughter too! :)

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/09/booking-through-theme-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about inner voice - I actually like that for most books, I just like audiobooks to fill in for the times when I'm doing mundane things - it's like reading all the time. :) I do like actual reading better than audio books though.

    Children are so much fun to read to - my favorite books to make the voices from are the Pigeon books by Mo Willems - they are hysterical and my boys love them, even the 10-year-old still likes hearing them.

    Here is my BTT for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - your comment made me laugh "I love hearing my own inner voice" LMBO. Don't we all :)

    TRISH - My BTT Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I love looking at words - same as I love holding a book - there's a feel to it that I can't describe." sigh...yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the inner voice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/booking-through-thursday_29.html

    ReplyDelete