Wednesday, 10 August 2011

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy: Book One


Third time lucky, I hope, since this is the third time I’m starting to read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. The problem I’ve had the two previous times is that I have a Wordsworth Ed. Now, I love these editions because they are cheap as chips, but the writing is so damn small it becomes extremely tedious after a while. Also, it’s so thick I can’t read it lying down – my favourite position. So, what I have done now is downloaded the same edition so that I can read it on the computer at work (because I hardly have anything to do these days anyway).

Because this thing is 946 pages (imagine how small the writing is) I’ve figured that a jillion things are going to happen, so I’m going to do little write ups after each ‘book’ – there are 15 in total (devided into three volumes), and an epilogue in two parts - just to keep track of everything.

Book One:
We’re introduced to a lot of people and I think I’ve got a somewhat clear understanding of who the majority of them are and how they relate to each other (there’s a nice little family tree type thingy in this book should I forget or get confused). There have been two dinner parties, Count Bezúkov has died and left his illegitimate son Pierre his fortune (legitimising him after his death), his daughters a little something and Prince Vasíli nothing. Men are going off to war and there are various little happenings that I really can’t even begin to type up, so I’ll return to them if they become relevant in the future.

I’ve laughed out loud twice, so far, which I found, for some reason, a tad unexpected, but since I like Tolstoy’s writing, it's coming along swimmingly.

For now, I’m only reading at work, so I have no idea how long it’ll take me to finish it. The men are going to war and I think it’s somewhere around here that I have quit previously. We’ll see how far I make it this time.

I’ve currently read 8.9% of the entire book – yes, I do calculate these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment