Monday, 8 August 2011

Mmm... Monday: Sylvia Plath, Part the Second

I’m feeling some sort of way today and so I thought it’d be quite soothing to read some poetry. However, being that it is Sylvia’s name day today, I thought I’d read some Plath poetry.

Not a good move.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Sylvia, but her poetry was not meant for days like this. Instead of pulling me out of this funk, she’s making me think about life (which is the last thing I want to do right now). Nevertheless, I’ve settled for this poem for today.

Jilted

My thoughts are crabbed and sallow,
My tears like vinegar,
Or the bitter blinking yellow
Of an acetic star.

Tonight the caustic wind, love,
Gossips late and soon,
And I wear the wry-faced pucker of
The sour lemon moon.

While like an early summer plum,
Puny, green, and tart,
Droops upon its wizened stem
My lean, unripened heart.


It’s all quite self-explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment