Monday, 11 July 2011

Mmm... Monday: Sylvia Plath, Part the First

I was listening to The Antlers yesterday (it was one of those days) and, of course, came upon their song Sylvia with the most epic of choruses:


So, for today I figured I’d read some Sylvia Plath poetry – you know, to stay in the moment.

Bluebeard

I am sending back the key
that let me into bluebeard's study;
because he would make love to me
I am sending back the key;
in his eye's darkroom I can see
my X-rayed heart, dissected body:
I am sending back the key
that let me into bluebeard's study.


I love the simplicity of this, especially these two lines “in his eye's darkroom I can see / my X-rayed heart, dissected body.” If only it were as easy as to just send back the key...

Aside: If you haven't already, run out and get The Antlers' debut album, Hospice. I swear, you won't regret it. It's magic and will break your heart. And while you're at it, get the second album, Burst Apart, too. You might as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment