Thursday, 7 July 2011

BTT: Dog Days


Since my dog is turning 10 today … what animal-related books have you read? Which do you love? Do you have a favorite literary dog? (Snoopy, anyone?)
I’m not big on animals in general (unless I’m allowed to argue that Man is an animal; which I will, given the chance - but then I'm not big on Man either), so reading about them isn't something I consciously do.

I’m currently reading Bright’s Passage by Josh Ritter and in it there’s a talking horse that’s an angel, but it's hardly animal-related.

Earlier this year I read Animal Farm by George Orwell and Pigtopia by Kitty Fitzgerald, and I suppose those are the only ones I can say were animal-related.

I seriously can’t think of a single animal-related book that I love – I can barely think of one at all. I don’t really like dogs, and was going to say Cujo by Stephen King, but I never read the book, just saw the movie.

Aside: Thanks ever so little for the title of this week's BTT because now I'm sure to spend the rest of the day singing Dog Days Are Over by Florence + The Machine... "happiness hit her like a train on a track"

14 comments:

  1. I don't know that song. I have never read Animal Farm but it was one of those books my dad had on his shelf that I would always look at. Just never got around to reading it though. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to read Animal Farm some day. Here is my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Animal Farm and it is on my rather long list of animal stories I have enjoyed. http://unicornslaststand.blogspot.com/2011/07/dog-days.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices I had not really thought about some of these answers.

    My BTT answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um...that song wasn't in my mind...until...um...now...er...thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same! I haven't read Animal Farm and I plan to look up Pigtopia just because that's a cool title! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Dog related books are usually hard to come by, but Cujo is a good one even though he's the bad guy. :)

    Here's mine:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/07/booking-through-thursday-dog-days.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot about Animal Farm. Long time since I read it
    http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com/2011/07/booking-through-thursdaydog-days.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting answers.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pigtopia...I have never heard of that one, I shall definitely check that one out. Good answers by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you, I don't purposely seek out animal-related books, but I did come up with some I really love by one author who really loves dogs!

    Hope you'll stop by and say hello...
    Cindy @ Cindy's Book Club

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess we read what really appeals to us. Thanks for stopping by my entry.

    Halie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tooooooooooooootally had that Florence song stuck in my head since reading the title this week too. I guess there could be worse songs to hear constantly!

    ReplyDelete