Friday, 29 July 2011

Book Buying Ban, Part the Second

I put myself on a book buying ban earlier in the year (March, April or May - I can't remember) where I didn't allow myself to buy any books, simply because I have too many - I know, that's not really possible, but bear with me. My problem is that when I have too many options I get confused and in panic run out to find a completely different and unrelated option.

Seriously, it took me an hour to figure out which book I was going to read next (I've been reserving Jude the Obscure for the office because it's Thomas Hardy and he always feels like work - although I must say Jude isn't nearly as annoying as Hardy usually is).

Right now there are 16 library books on my night stand and I can't even begin to count how many of my own books are stacked on the floor.

It's ridiculous, really.

So, I will therefore not buy any books in August.

And the only books I'm allowing myself to check out of the library are the ones that I've already had them order and reserve for me - only two.

So, for the next 31 days I have to make due with what I have, which is a good thing since I'm consciously hiding some of the books that I've had for eons but really don't want to read or look at. Obviously, this means that when I go to drop of some old clothes at the thrift store tomorrow I'm going to pretty much buy every book in sight.

That seems fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment