Thursday, 30 June 2011

My Reading Thus Far

I can’t won’t answer this week’s BTT because it’s not interesting to me. Instead I’m taking some time out to summarize my reading goals and progress so far.

I aim to read at least 100 books this year and I’m currently at 44. Considering that I started writing last week, and have thus only read one book, I’m happy with that. Once the writing’s done, I’ll be back to normal.

I want at least 40% of the books to be classics I’m at 38.6% (yes, I calculate these things).

I want at least 60% to have been rated 4+. This is a tricky one since it’s not my fault if I don’t like a book, but it would be nice to know that the majority of what I read, I’ve actually enjoyed. I won’t deliberately give books higher grades just so I can say I made it; that would defeat the purpose. Either way, I’m currently at 54% so that’s good. (Aside: I love how I started the year by reading four really good books and hope I end on the same note).

I must confess, I’m not actively taking part in the Author and Title A-Z Challenges; I just chalk ‘em up as I read ‘em. I’ll probably end up stressing at the end of the year to complete them, but whatever. I’ve got 6 letters to go in the Author one, and 14 in the Title one, so no stress yet.

The 100 Classics Challenge is the one that I’m most worried about. It runs until May, but I’ve only read 20 books there, and I’ve still got those Russian tomes, not to mention my literary nemesis Hardy (fact: I’ve had Jude the Obscure on my bedroom floor, which is, coincidentally, also my library, for two months now – at the bottom of the pile, of course) and that Dickens x3 (I have this issue with Dickens; his writing rubs me some sort of way and it always takes me ages to get into his books, but once I do, I love them – it just always feels like such a chore in the beginning, which is why I avoid him).

I did say that I was going to read at least 10 Swedish books this year, but I really don’t feel like reading in Swedish lately. I’ve read 3 so far, and I just bought 8 Swedish books last week, so I’ll probably get to them eventually.

Lastly, we have the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (that title – ugh, so pretentious), which isn’t a challenge, but just something to amuse myself with. I’m currently at a measly 51, but I’m hoping to having bumped that up to at least 100 by the end of the year, and seeing that some of the titles in my 100 Classics Challenge pop up here as well, that shouldn’t be a problem.

So yeah, now that my anal side is satisfied with this update, I’m going to go to pick up Eight White Nights by André Aciman (the author of my favourite book ever right now, Call me By Your Name) at the library, since I just got a text saying it's waiting for me. I had them order it a month ago, but who am I to complain about the time it took to get it here - they probably had to laminate it first. Aside: I get extra excited about cracking the spines of library books, it feels like I'm the first person to take the journey, and that tickles me. Sad, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment