Thursday, 16 June 2011

BTT: Interactive


With the advent (and growing popularity) of eBooks, I’m seeing more and more articles about how much “better” they can be, because they have the option to be interactive … videos, music, glossaries … all sorts of little extra goodies to help “enhance” your reading experience, rather like listening to the Director’s commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.
How do you feel about that possibility? Does it excite you in a cutting-edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that’s not what reading is ABOUT?

I don’t really care, to be honest. When I was younger and read a book with big words, I’d sit with a dictionary next to me, write down the difficult word, look up the meaning and then write it next to the word (because I learn and remember things better if I write them down). This was no issue for me, and I still do it. The same goes for places, paintings, music or what have you, I look them up if need be.

I can see the appeal in being able to listen to a piece of music as one reads about it; so if the book says “he put on Nessun Dorma by Puccini,” you can just click the title to hear it, but I doubt that I’d ever do that. It’d be too disracting. Also, if it's music I've never heard before that's integral to the plot, I want to experience it through the character without putting my own emotions into it. Then, later on, when I listen to it myself I can form my own opinion and compare.

So, in 6 words or less: I like my reading as is.

4 comments:

  1. YES! You hit the nail on the head, I do believe. I think that extras, no matter how "helpful" they might be, seem to be distractions, to me. If I want to look it up, I'll do so later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answer! Nothing beats just having a book in your hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good answer. I agree I love to have an actual book in my hands.

    My Answer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just really like having the feeling of a book in my hands but I do like my Kindle for traveling.

    Here's my answer:
    http://abookishaffair.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-7-all-about.html

    ReplyDelete