Saturday, 7 May 2011

Wish I May by Justine Picardie (3.5/5)


The back says: Kate Linden is a thirty-five-year-old single mother, who dreams of finding a man who will love both her and her son, Sam. But while she's waiting for that unknown saviour, she finds herself as entangled as ever with her handsome, domineering cousin Julian, the son of her mother's twin sister.

As she returns to Julian's childhood home in Norfolk, Kate is drawn back into the mysteries that haunt her. What was the truth of the relationship between her mother and Julian's father? Who was responsible for her mother's death in a car crash? And will those half-remembered patterns repeat themselves, or can she escape them, and create some happiness of her own?

I say: This is one of those books that I bought because, quite frankly, I knew beforehand that I wouldn't like, but I like to switch up my reading by purposefully buying genres that I normally stay clear of - just to sort of broaden my view.

Also, it was on sale.

So yeah, I thought this was going to be interesting, I liked the plot outline above, but, sadly, I was disappointed. I really tried to get into it, but I just never got a clear view of who Kate really was. I felt like Picardie kept tip-toeing around the character by having her focus on all these events in her life that, supposedly, had shaped her, but there was no evidence of that. I just didn't understand her, and not in the sense that I didn't understand why Kate was acting a certain way, but in the sense that throughout the book I felt like I was just reading about this person and not knowing why.

I was so disconnected.

Truth be told, the only thing that kept me going was Picardie's writing, because she writes beautifully and strangely engaging. Which is why this book was so confusing to me. Picardie kept pulling me in with her early foreshadowing; a silent promise of the unveiling of dark secrets, and I stuck with it, but when the resolution finally came, all I felt was a sense of meh.

I will most likely pick up another of Picardie's works because I do like her writing, this story just did nothing for me. So yeah, the story was probably a 2/5, but Picardie's writing bumped it up to a 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment