Thursday, 26 May 2011

BTT: Rut




Do you ever feel like you’re in a reading rut? That you don’t read enough variety? That you need to branch out, spread your literary wings and explore other genres, flavors, styles?

I have an obsessive personality that I'm constantly trying to rein in. In my youth I would read all the books by one author and then discard them to never return to again. Or I would only read a certain type of books until they made me sick.

These days I take great care to mix it up a little - even continuously reading genres that I know I don't like. If I could have my own way (woe betide the world if that ever happened) I would only read Russian novels, but I know that if I do, I'll grow sick of them and not touch them for years. So, my general attitude is to try not to read two books by the same author or of the same genre back to back. Do I always follow this rule - of course not. I wouldn't be me if I did. But looking at the year so far, I have to say that I've been doing a good job. 

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on your list in the sidebar I'd say your doing a good job as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to do the same read one author until I got sick them. Like V.C. Andrews and Jackie Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Variety helps from being in a book rut.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to take up a rule like this.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a good idea, to never read the same author or genre back to back. It's nice to find a blog by a reader who loves Russian books! There are so many great ones that I haven't read! Does your interest in Russia(n) extend outside the book world? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Booknympho, it does now - but pretty much because of the book world. I'm determined to go to Moscow (as soon as I find an accomplice). I do realise that most of the books I've read are from the past couple of centuries and life in Russia is hardly the same, but even so, I still want to go on my nerdy voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm exactly the same way. I can read a genre or author until I am sick to death of it and then never go back to it. It's quite sad as I have probably missed out on some great books within those genres as a result. Trying to be good now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really hope you get a chance to visit Moscow! I studied Russian in college and was lucky enough to live and work outside Moscow for almost 2 years. Yes, life just isn't the same as the books Tolstoy wrote, for example, but I'm starting to explore more contemporary Russian books too. If you have any questions about traveling there let me know. I'm so glad I found your blog, we have similar taste in books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, that's what I did with Stephen King in my teens. I was obsessed - or possessed - and it got to a point where I didn't even want to hear his name. Actually, I still kind of don't.

    Booknympho, that sounds awesome. Russian is such an intriguing language, which I'm only learning of late when going through translations of books and various footnotes. I'll defintely be asking you loads of questions when I find someone to take with me (I don't like going to countries where I don't speak the native language alone). And I've bookmarked your blog cos I want to see how you do with the 1001 books to read before you die. I checked, I've read 32 so far.

    ReplyDelete