Thursday, 5 May 2011

BTT: Not in Theatres


And–the reverse of last week’s question. Name one book that you hope never, ever, ever gets made into a movie (no matter how good that movie might be).


If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor, which is one of my all-time favourite books; most of all because of McGregor's writing (which, judging by reviews, a lot of people have problems with). In short, he does everything that my teachers told me to never do when writing -

and I love it.

It's poetry. And I honestly don't think anyone could be able to capture the dreamlike state I was wrapped in when reading that book. Also, because I'm a sucker for punishment, if anyone ever attempted to, I'd be forced to see the film and it would annoy me to no end.

So, nobody touch this!

6 comments:

  1. I said in my answer that there are no books I could think of that I would be opposed to being made into a movie, but a book of poetry probably wouldn't translate too well to the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this book around. I always admired the cover but never picked it up.

    No matter how good a film is they always miss something out. Understandable at times but it's these little things that irritate and niggle at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read this book but I do think that it's hard to capture particularly poetic or lyrical books into good movies. The good parts of those kinds of books is really the art of the words and that doesn't translate into movies well.

    Here's mine: http://abookishaffair.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this one would be way too complicated to make into a movie. They would have to strip it down to the core story, loosing all the beautiful poetic elements.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of it but I like the cover.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some books are not meant for the big screen.

    stop and see mine.

    ReplyDelete