Thursday, 19 May 2011

BTT: Age-Inappropriate


In contrast to last week’s question, what do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?
I don't believe in censorship. Ultimately, I think that it's up to the parents. If you don't want your kids reading a certain type of book, then it's your job to keep them away from it - or it away from them, however that works.
 
Also, don't some publishers do like children's versions of classics? I know Penguin had those when I was a kid (that I refused to read because I knew they were keeping something from me, and I'd rather read the original with my dictionary at hand).

10 comments:

  1. Yes, as a parent, I prefer that my child has a wide reading experience, asking questions when the need arises, rather than remain completely closed off from literature. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your last comment says a lot. Censorship, either institutonal or parental just makes kids feel they are missing out on something, and can make it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you.It's up to the parent. Not all kids, but some are going to want to read something all the more just because they have been banned from doing so.

    I hated abridged books when I was a kid too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer. I think that most of us agree that parent involvement is very important!

    If you are interested, my answer is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. There is such a big difference between institutional censorship and a parent deciding that her child is not quite ready for a certain book (in terms of maturity and "adult themes", not reading level).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good reply.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot about the Penguin children's versions. I remember reading those too and feeling like I was missing something. Although those can be a good idea because they're not really made to cut out content, just to be adapted to lower reading levels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree it's up to the parents.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, I also did not like those abridged "children's classics" versions when I was little.

    ReplyDelete