Thursday, 12 May 2011

BTT: Age-Appropriate

Do you read books “meant” for other age groups? Adult books when you were a child; Young-Adult books now that you’re grown; Picture books just for kicks … You know … books not “meant” for you. Or do you pretty much stick to what’s written for people your age?
I read whatever sounds interesting to me, regardless of whether it’s meant for my age group or not. Since I really have a penchant for angst, I tend to read a lot of Young Adult novels, for obvious reasons. The only obvious thing about reading YA is the writing/language – I’ll “allow and excuse” a lot more from those than adult fiction, for some reason.

It was worse when I, as a child, was bored with children’s books and started reading adult books. I obviously wanted a reading challenge, and wound up “learning” a lot of things that kids need not know. In a way, I’m glad this was before the internet was everywhere, so that I only had the dictionary to rely on (and the encyclopaedias at the library – remember those?). Biggest reading mistake was probably Macbeth by William Shakespeare at the age of 11, and The Prince by Noccólo Machiavelli at 14.

I was way too young for both (but maybe I say that because I got oddly obsessed with them and, at that age, never taking anything at face value, my young mind lacked the ability to critically analyse them the way I constantly do now).

6 comments:

  1. I had to read Much Adu about nothing in high school, i think i hate it because it was high school.

    The Book Mystress, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I so feel you on reading things before they would have been appropriate for me to read. My parents had a very laissez faire attitude when it came to checking out books from the library. I started reading the trashy V.C. Andrews books when I was in middle school! Eek!

    Here's what I had to say: http://abookishaffair.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-may-12-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not really thought about it but yes I read alot of adult as a teen.

    Here is my answer: http://www.lisasworldofbooks.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a lot of Stephen King as a teenager. I was really into thrillers back then. Not so much now, at least not that kind of thriller. I do still enjoy some of his work and am looking forward to the release of his new novel in November called 11/22/63. You can read about it here. I also read some Michael Crichton and a few Harlequin romances which soon lost favour as it was the same story retold again and again with different characters. Please go to My Bookshelf to read my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, I like mixing it up, it makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting take on the question. I would read the ketchup bottle if that was all that was on hand, so I've read a diverse range of books all my life! Here's my post:

    Cindy's Book Club

    ReplyDelete