Friday, 22 April 2011

The Venus Conspiracy by Michael Cordy (3/5)


The back says: How can a drug that makes people fall madly in love be a bad thing?

So thinks Professor Carlos Bacci when he inadvertently unlocks the biochemical key to falling in love, and develops a drug capable of creating emotions indistinguishable from the real thing.

Determined that the world should benefit from his discovery, he seeks funding and business advice from a private Swiss bank, owned by the secretive Kappel family. Unknown to Bacci, however, Helmut Kappel sees love as a sickness to be exploited, and has his own plan for abusing the drug's power - a cynical nightmare of breathtaking arrogance far removed from Bacci's naive dream of spreading love around the world.


I say:
I don't usually read science fiction or thrillers, so it's always hard for me to be objective about these genres that I don't particularly enjoy. However, I started reading this with an open mind because I liked the premise, and I think I'm glad I did.

Cordy writes in a very simple and straightforward manner, and the plot was very fast paced. The one thing that I thought was a tad annoying was all the medical terms, and explanations of how the drug worked. Of course I understand why it had to be in there, but sometimes it was a tad redundant, like how every time someone was scanning their hands on the security scanner, he remarked that it read the x amount of genes (?) that it required to identify the person.

Or whatever it was.

I don't really remember (or care anymore).

The story itself was quite predictable from the start. I mean, Max Krappel doesn't believe in love (or showing any emotions) and then sees a picture of Isabella Bacci and notices her eyes.

Hmmm, I wonder what could become of that?

Also, when they were explaining the previous versions of the drug and the ones that Carlos Bacci had rejected and why, only to then let us know that he had kept all the samples in his fridge.

Foreshadowing.

I have to say that all the characters were very predictable and one-dimensional, which was boring since I could figure out their next move before they made them. There was no suspense.

At all.

All in all I supposed it was an entertaining enough read that didn't require that much thought, which was exactly what I needed at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment