Monday, 28 March 2011

Take It or Toss It: Language

I've been bad with the blogging because my mind's all over the place. Also, I'm trying to decide if I want to continue reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz because I'm seriously struggling with the language. It's crude and offensive, and all vernacular, which is probably the point, but I don't like it. Also, there are frequent sentences in Spanish - with no translation.

For why?

I hate it when authors do this. I haven't touched the book in a couple of weeks and I think I was only a mere 20 pages in. Right now I'm struggling with my gut feeling of discarding this book and the fact that one of the few people whose opinion I value said it's an excellent read.

Sigh.

Then we have Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy which I'm maybe 100 pages in. Hardy, like Charles Dickens, is such a struggle for me to read, but more often that not it's worth it. So I may stick this one out. I think I'll just reserve an entire day for this book and be done with it.

Then I received The Story of O by Pauline Réage in the mail today and I set forth on reading it straight away. Only I got as far as the end of the first page and cringed.

"The taxi eases off, very slowly; nor has the man next to her said a word to the driver."
- p. 9

That sentence is stupid.

Just full of stupid.

I've wanted to read this book for a while now, and that one sentence has just ruined a lot for me.

Yes, I am that petty.

I have 8 other books on my nightstand I could turn to, but I don't want to start anything new until I've decided whether to finish the ones I've started or just toss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment