Friday, 25 March 2011

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you


The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

I love this movie so much I've probably watched it well over 50 times (if not more), and surprisingly it wasn't until two years ago that I read the book. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement of epic proportions. The book is made up of letters and diary entries by Celie and would have been epic if it hadn't been written in what I detest the most

vernacular.

I really just can't stand vernacular literature because it just ruins everything for me. I've repressed most of it, apart from what quotes I've written down in my notebook, and maybe I'll try reading it again in a few years. I'm getting a bit better at reading vernacular literature, though I did abandon Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston halfway through because it was just too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment