Sunday, 20 March 2011

Day 13 – Your favorite writer


Oscar Wilde.

Every now and then I crush over a new writer and completely obsess over them, and I'm actually finding it harder and harder to have a favourite the more I read. My first literary love and obsession was William Shakespeare, and I do believe that Wilde is my second. A few years back I was obsessed with Fyodor Dostoevsky and last year, or the one prior, it was Albert Camus. Right now I'm pondering whether I should continue with Dostoevsky or start on Guy de Maupassant.

I have no idea what I'm on about, to be honest.

But I love love love me some Oscar Wilde. So much I even went and lay down with his statue in Dublin, stood outside of one of his homes, and kissed and marked his tombstone in Paris last year. I've read all of his plays and The Picture of Dorian Gray, but was struggling with his poetry because I wasn't really feeling it. Strangely enough I actually just took out The Complete Works the other day because I wanted to read Vera; or The Nihilists for some reason.

Also, I read The Importance of Being Earnest and De Profundis once a year. The latter contains one of my favourite quotes of all time:

"[...] if ever I lie in the cool grass at night-time it will be to write sonnets to the moon."

Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment