Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving


Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I read this a few years back when I was obsessed with reading all the classics before I turn 30 (which I still may manage, btw). So many of the classics are not worth the hype and, let's be honest, Crime and Punishment is one of those books that people love to tell you is one of their favourites for no other reason than that they think it makes them look intellectual. Also, I was a hopeless cynic that loved quoting Mark Twain. Case in point:

"'Classic'. A book which people praise and don't read."

So yeah, I read it and loved it. This was the beginning of my sad little obsession with Dostoevsky and in turn Russian literature. I kinda miss that obsession. I should pick it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment