Thursday, 24 March 2011

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme about books and reading that I thought I'd start answering. This week's question is Series? Or stand-alone books?

I say stand-alone books, because when I read a book I want to be able to put it aside when finished and feel like that's that -

and I can move on.

With series, the whole idea is that I have to pick up the rest if I want closure. It's probably different if it's a finished series, because then you know beforehand what you're getting yourself into, but even so. Not reading all the books is like abandoning the story.

Then I'm also one of those people who feel like some things are better left unsaid. Sure, I've read a lot of books where I've wished the author would continue with the story, but part of the magic with books for me, is that I can sit for hours afterwards just pondering what all the characters are up to after the author, and I, left them.

6 comments:

  1. Good response.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to imagine the characters lives after the book has ended.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy joining in BTT!

    I enjoyed reading your response - do you not sometimes feel relieved that you can "continue reading" if you want to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. And you're right, some series become ridiculous after the first few books. I read about four of the Anita Blake series and then I had to put the whole thing aside because it had turned into drivel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your answer and your thoughts of pondering the characters afterwards. Here's my response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvann, the problem with me is that once I start I have to finish. So if it's a series I don't feel like I have that much of a choice, really... Silly, I know. But that's just how I was built

    ReplyDelete